Fill in the blank with the answer that best completes each sentence.
1. The experienced chess player’s __________ overwhelmed the novice.
(A) absolution (B) acumen (C) decorum (D) endurance (E) mandate
2. He wasn’t just a racist; he was a __________, and hated everyone.
(A) dilettante (B) mercenary (C) skeptic (D) misanthrope (E) sycophant
3. A magician takes advantage of the audience’s __________.
(A) credulity (B) enormity (C) prerogative (D) negligence (E) petulance
4. Einstein’s theories ushered in a new __________ in physics.
(A) respite (B) incantation (C) paradigm (D) connotation (E) reproach
5. Some companies take a summer __________, closing down for weeks.
(A) hiatus (B) legacy (C) atrophy (D) apex (E) erudition
6. The college student was arrested, accused of __________ a riot.
(A) heeding (B) extricating (C) inferring (D) imputing (E) fomenting
7. The spring air was __________ with lilacs and freshly cut grass.
(A) euphonious (B) grandiose (C) doleful (D) indolent (E) redolent
8. They were __________ travelers, never staying in one place very long.
(A) perfidious (B) peripatetic (C) abject (D) hermetic (E) lenient
9. The strange, __________ message bewildered everyone.
(A) recondite (B) judicious (C) eloquent (D) laudatory (E) dulcet
10. Your __________ habits will leave you penniless.
(A) cogent (B) docile (C) profligate (D) mercurial (E) fulsome